View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 am

Any Oxford Bus Drivers Out There??? 

Post Any Oxford Bus Drivers Out There???
I was wandering if there were any Oxford Bus Drivers knocking around in the Forum, either Stagecoach or OBC. The reason I ask is this. I am moving out to Oxfordshire from London in March. I have always wanted to give Bus Driving a go, so much so that I have been trawling through the internet and researching the job for a good few years now. I've found very mixed opinions of what life is like as a Bus Driver, some hate it, some love it. Seems like a Marmite job to me? And I love Marmite, so I may well love driving buses? I'm going to take the plunge anyway and see what becomes of it!

Anyway, I digress. I have applied for both Stagecoach Oxfordshire and OBC, with an offer of assessment from companies. I cannot find a single bad word about either operators in Oxford on the internet. I know that OBC is owned by the Go-Ahead Group and that their staff generally have good things to say about the company. So to that end, are there any drivers here that work for either operator? The pay for both companies seems pretty good (compared to my 22k I'm currently earning in London) and I'm taking the lack of unhappy rants online from Drivers is a good sign. Maybe.

Answers on a postcard :-)

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Post Re: Any Oxford Bus Drivers Out There???
I worked for Slavecoach briefly at the end of last year and I know the Oxford drivers are on the best terms and conditions in the SW area, which pisses off the other drivers in other areas, but they are a crap company to work for.

here is the reason I left, they tried to get me to break the law by reducing my rest periods between shifts then threaten you if you moan about it, they put me on a 4 day rota which I wanted then when I came to the point I was going to get my 6 days off (come around every 4 weeks or so) they tried to switch me back to a 5 day rota with only 1 day off in between changing rotas, I went berserk and told them to shove the job where the sun dont shine, so they sacked me, they are now trying to get there training bond back but after speaking to a solicitor the training bond is not worth the paper its written on as you need a PSV licence to be able to do your job, they cant enforce the bond legally

dont do it work for the other company dude

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up, was leaning more toward OBC anyway!

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 pm

Souter seems to be backing off with his buses, more into manufacturing and with his investment company, could be there's not the money (taxpayers) in buses these days with local authorites cutting back on everything.
Oxford is an expensive place to live, just like Cambridge so I think you'll find that the higher wages there reflect that.
Why not give bus driving in London a go!

Only joking

Oxford and the surrounding areas are really a nice place to live hope it works out and you enjoy the job, buses are SO addictive.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks madbusman!

I'm already addicted to buses! The question is, will I be addicted to working on the buses? Only one way to find out really!

Cheers
Wilfy

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:51 pm