View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 am

Is this normal 

Post Is this normal
I passed my test last week today was my first day with my mentor
All I seam to be getting taught is how to drive badly & dangers if this is the way I am expected to drive is
They can take my pvc & stick it I am fuming at the moment

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Post Re: Is this normal
In what way are you being taught to be dangerous

Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:36 pm

When I first took my PCV they told me, 'first we'll teach you how to pass your test, then we'll teach you how to drive in service'.

I hope that answers your question?

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:29 pm

It's not really dangerous. You now how they say you only "learn" to drive once you pass your test? It's a bit like that but in a bigger vehicle.

What you also have to remember is that if you're driving something like a bus you have a different perspective to what you'd have if you drove a car, they're not saying "We'll show you how to throw it round corners and drive at breakneck speed" what they're saying is they'll get you through the bit where you show yourself to be competent, they're showing you how it applies to driving a bus in the area where you'll be based and how to keep time etc.

It also has the effect of making you look like you're driving recklessly know but remember you still have learning to do the test fresh in your mind. What they'll show you is how to find your way of doing the job comfortably so to speak. We all do it slightly differently.

They said it to me too and I rarely have accidents and I don't speed.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:44 pm

Drive how you feel comfortable to drive, passenger safety is the priority, and of course your safety in terms of your bus as well. Don't put yourself in a situation you think you can't get out of. Driving in service is a lot of fun, get your foot down and go for it, but there's a safe way of doing this, we're don't need to speed and drive dangerously to drive somewhat hastily.

:)

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Mmmmm, I was told on my first day in Glasgow that bus drivers ignore traffic lights, needless to say I still have a job, the 'driver' who told me to ignore red lights hasn't been seen for a long time. I wonder why.
Drive safely,remember you are in a large vehicle, remember you've grannies and granddads and their grandchildren sitting behind or above you and that every other driver out there is a loony trying to get you.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Despite all the signs you see of "Safety Matters" around the depot. Safety doesn't really matter and its shocking to see how safety in Queens Road and Oldham depot comes at the bottom of the list, which its all smoke and mirrors until something happens then "Safety" becomes a fake priority.

I drive relaxed and chilled out (if I'm late, tough shit) but allocators and other drivers are on your case about it instead of pestering the managers to get running times properly timed........I hate hanging around in the depot.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:38 pm

The industry would be so much better for drivers if it got rid of those that think breaking the law is acceptable, the trouble is that many in lower management have come from the drivers seat and see bullying and law breaking as their right of passage into management.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Despite all the signs you see of "Safety Matters" around the depot. Safety doesn't really matter and its shocking to see how safety in Queens Road and Oldham depot comes at the bottom of the list, which its all smoke and mirrors until something happens then "Safety" becomes a fake priority.

I think you'll find that Drivers and their buses come under construction and use once out on the road, safety officers are more concerned about making sure the wifey in the office has her seat renewed every two years. I remember years ago being on a health an safety course with one of our leading companies and being told not to discuss buses, in the depot there are more dangers to those that are employed within than the drivers that actually spend very little time their, glare from playing freecell being a real hazard.

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:26 pm